[Samba] Guest access to share, user-level security issues

Nathan Schulte reklipz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 09:41:16 GMT 2008

I'm having issues getting samba configured such that a guest can
browse a share when using user-level security.

I am running debian lenny amd64, should that matter, using version 3.2.4.

Here is my smb.conf:

[global]
       workgroup = WORKGROUP
       server string = %h
       map to guest = Bad User
       null passwords = Yes
       guets account = nobody
       obey pam restrictions = Yes
       passdb backend = tdbsam
       syslog = 0
       log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
       max log size = 1000

[homes]
       comment = Home Directories
       valid users = %S
       read only = No
       browseable = No

[public]
       path = /var/public
       guest ok = Yes

# ls -la /var | grep public
drwxrwxrwx  5 nobody    nogroup     4096 2008-11-17 04:39 public

smbclient from another box on the lan:

$ smbclient -N //samba-server/public
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.4]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

Is this simply an oversight in my configuration, or is there something
else going on?

Thanks much!