[Samba] files to trash

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Tue Nov 18 00:24:10 GMT 2008

test test wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I setup trash in samba, it working well but people can avoid it when they
> delete files/folder using key combination ( Shift+Del ) in Windows XP. Is
> possible to prevent hard delete?

I don't exactly have a solution to your problem (in fact, I'm kind of
surprised that you can do that), but have a look at rsync + hardlink
backups.

Our systems here run a backup every hour (during business hours), each
evening we grab the most recent hourly sync and put it away (we keep 5
days worth of these), each friday we grab the most recent daily and keep
that (for 4 weeks).

All up, I can just back to any given hour for the past day, and given
day for the past week, or any week for the past month, and it uses
approx 1.5x the storage space of the original data (obviously that
number will increase if you have less static data).

This is my intermediate step, between the recycled module and the tape
backups, but to be honest, since this has been up and running I hardly
ever look at the recycled stuff. If someone wants something recovered it
is far simpler to grab it from the rsync copy.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>