[Samba] Problems with accessing samba printer from Windows

bill purvis bill at billp.org
Sun Nov 16 17:36:11 GMT 2008

I tried this (again) and checked carefully the logs. No improvement.

I did however try recre4ating the printer from the Windoze machine and
spotted an entry added to log.nmbd:

  Samba name server BOHUSLAV is now a local master browser for workgroup
WORKGROUP on subnet 10.0.0.1

The obvious problem here is that 10.0.0.1 is not connected to anything!
The 10.0.0.x network is just an end-to-end link between my webserver
(a different machine) and the ADSL modem. I could deactivate that
network, but I prefer to leave it active so I can swap machines quickly
if neccesary - bohuslav is a mirrored copy of the web server to act as
backup. I can't see anything obvious in smb.conf which would make Samba
look at a particular network, apart for the 'allow 192.168.xxx' statement
which I would have assumed would be enough to direct it in that direction.
Is there something which I can add to force it to just listen on 192.168.0.x
(which is my local network)?

Many thanks.

Bill