[Samba] [samba-users] Network Pblm with "misty" (XP Home SP3 )

Ted Hilts thilts at mcsnet.ca
Sat Nov 15 02:25:42 GMT 2008

Rubin Bennett wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 17:17 -0700, Ted Hilts wrote:
>
>> In short this is the problem.  The XP Home machine called
>> "misty" cannot see any other machines.  It cannot see the Linux machines
>> and it cannot see the XP Home machines or the XP Pro machine.  In spite
>> of this blindness it can map to all the XP machines and define so-called
>> network places.  But "misty" cannot map through the SAMBA protocal used
>> by the Linux machines to make their shares available. All the other XP
>> machines can access these Linux shares. So this problem is unique to
>> "misty".
>>
>> Looking from the Linux side of the LAN the Linux machines can see
>> "misty" shares as in these following diagnostics generated from the
>> Linux machine called "Ubuntu" with the same OS name. ("misty" has the
>> static IP address 192.168.1.20 and MS SP3). The diagnostics indicate
>> that "Ubuntu"
>> can see the "misty" shares. The Linux machine "Ubuntu" has IP address
>> 192.168.1.16.
>>
>> Here are those diagnostics: (disregard the error line "allow hosts"
>> associated with the smb.config file.
>>

>> ted at Ubuntu:~$ nmblookup -d 2 '*'
>> params.c:Parameter() - Ignoring badly formed line in configuration file:
>> allow hosts
>> added interface ip=192.168.1.16 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
>> querying * on 192.168.1.255
>> Got a positive name query response from 192.168.1.16 ( 192.168.1.16 )
>> Got a positive name query response from 192.168.1.20 ( 192.168.1.20 )
>> Got a positive name query response from 192.168.1.15 ( 192.168.1.15 )
>> Got a positive name query response from 192.168.1.9 ( 192.168.1.9 )
>> Got a positive name query response from 192.168.1.70 ( 192.168.1.70 )
>> 192.168.1.16 *<00>
>> 192.168.1.20 *<00>
>> 192.168.1.15 *<00>
>> 192.168.1.9 *<00>
>> 192.168.1.70 *<00>
>> ted at Ubuntu:~$ sudo smbclient -L misty -U ted -W peggyted
>> [sudo] password for ted:
>> params.c:Parameter() - Ignoring badly formed line in configuration file:
>> allow hosts
>> Password:
>> Domain=[MISTY] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
>>
>>         Sharename       Type      Comment
>>         ---------       ----      -------
>>         IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
>>         SharedDocs      Disk
>>         C               Disk
>>         D               Disk
>> Domain=[MISTY] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
>>
>>         Server               Comment
>>         ---------            -------
>>
>>         Workgroup            Master
>>         ---------            -------
>> ted at Ubuntu:~$
>>
>> In addition I obtained some advice but am not sure what to make of it.
>> All the following is that advice.
>>
>>  >> Look into that XP Home / Samaba. I would do some more research "samba xp
>> registry hack"

> [...]
Rubin:
I think my problem is with "misty" not with "Ubuntu".

You said:

"Start -> Run -> \\192.168.1.16" (remember 192.168.1.16 is the "Ubuntu" machine IP address and your XP instructions are applied to "misty" which has IP address 192.168.1.20. The results follow:

"Windows Explorer
\\192.168.1.16 is not accesible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this service to find out if you have access permissions. The account is not authorized to log in from this station."

Both "misty" and "Ubuntu" have the same account name which is "ted" and ted is me -- the administrator for both. Both "misty" and "Ubuntu" use the HOSTS and LMHOSTS files and the proper information is in each of them.  Static IP addresses are used for all machines in the LAN. The addresses and names are properly correlated for each machine. Both can ping each other and any other machine in the LAN. The "Ubuntu" smb file properly shows that "misty" is an acceptable host and the user "ted" is an acceptable user.

As shown earlier "Ubuntu" can see the "misty" shares but cannot do a smbmount on these shares.  What has been said of "Ubuntu" is also true of "gateway" (not the command) machine which is a Suse Linux distribution. Both Linux machines get the same reactions from "misty".  All the other XP machines behave properly except for "misty". The problem appears to be uniquely with "misty".

Thanks -- Ted

Database version: 5.11110