[Samba] Problems joining a domain with a large number of DCs

Eric Diven eric.diven at edsiohio.com
Fri Nov 14 20:46:04 GMT 2008

> > I'm having issues joining samba to a domain with a large number of
> > domain controllers.  The domain is a mixed windows
> 2003/windows 2008
> > domain.  The samba server is Solaris 10 update 5 running on SPARC.
> >
> > I have a custom samba build of samba 3.0.28 on the server
> because we
> > need Tobi Oetiker's samfs patch.  Because of the issue that version
> > has with passwords longer than eight characters on Solaris,
> I've also
> > build samba 3.0.24 for using net to join the domain.
>
> You might want to use the latest git checkout of 3-0-test,
> for example available via
>
> http://repo.or.cz/w/Samba.git?a=snapshot;h=af33c8b3521564c;sf=tgz
>
> as there have been fixes for the server affinity cache during join.
>
> Volker

Volker,

Thanks again for the quick answer, I've been tied up with other stuff
and just now got around to working on the samba project.

It turns out that the tarball from the link you sent me has no configure
script in the source directory.  I've tried running autoconf to generate
a configure script, but I'm not getting very far.  This is on Solaris 10
update 4, I've updated m4 and autoconf to the latest versions from
sunfreeware.com.  Output is below.  The first 3 files that are causing
problems are in lib/replace.  I haven't been able to turn up the others
with a quick check, but I could be looking in the wrong place.

Thanks,

~Eric

-bash-3.00$ autoconf
/usr/local/bin/m4:lib/replace/libreplace.m4:359: cannot open
`libreplace_cc.m4': No such file or directory
/usr/local/bin/m4:lib/replace/libreplace.m4:360: cannot open
`libreplace_macros.m4': No such file or directory
/usr/local/bin/m4:lib/replace/libreplace.m4:361: cannot open
`autoconf-2.60.m4': No such file or directory
/usr/local/bin/m4:configure.in:856: cannot open `system/config.m4': No
such file or directory
/usr/local/bin/m4:configure.in:856: cannot open `dlfcn.m4': No such file
or directory
/usr/local/bin/m4:configure.in:856: cannot open `getpass.m4': No such
file or directory
/usr/local/bin/m4:configure.in:856: cannot open `strptime.m4': No such
file or directory
/usr/local/bin/m4:configure.in:856: cannot open `win32.m4': No such file
or directory
/usr/local/bin/m4:configure.in:856: cannot open `timegm.m4': No such
file or directory
/usr/local/bin/m4:configure.in:856: cannot open `repdir.m4': No such
file or directory
autom4te: /usr/local/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
-bash-3.00$ /usr/local/bin/m4 --version
m4 (GNU M4) 1.4.12
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

Written by Rene' Seindal.