[Samba] Netbios : Network Browsing on multiple subnets

smainklh at free.fr smainklh at free.fr
Fri Nov 14 11:04:33 GMT 2008

Hi all !

I have a PDC and a BDC in 2 differents subnets.
I would like to sync their browse list but it doesn't seem to work.

Actually here are a part my smb.conf files :

PDC
------------------------------
remote browse sync = 10.10.20.10
remote announce = 10.10.20.10
security = user
encrypt passwords = true
domain logons = Yes
os level = 70
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
local master = yes
wins support = Yes
-------------------------------

BDC
--------------------------------
remote announce = 10.10.10.1
remote browse sync = 10.10.10.1
wins support = yes
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
domain logons = Yes
os level = 69
preferred master =no
domain master = no
-------------------------------

The BDC is unable to find the Domain Master Browser

nmblookup -U venise -R 'DOMAIN#1B'
name_query failed to find name domain#1b

nmblookup -U BDC -S PDC
name_query failed to find name PDC

log.nmbd
-------------------------------
[2008/11/14 11:55:51, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(351)
  find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
  Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DOMAIN<1b> for the workgroup
DOMAIN.
[2008/11/14 12:03:59, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.c:process_master_browser_announce(383)
  process_master_browser_announce: Not configured as domain master - ignoring
master announce.

I really need help, the BDC has to be moved in another place.

Thank you !

Smaine