[Samba] Samba memory usage - how big is it?

Thu Nov 13 08:27:48 GMT 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:15:00AM +0100, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> > First shot: Can you issue a
>
> > smbcontrol <smbd-pid> pool-usage
>
> > where <smbd-pid> is the process ID of such a large smbd, and
> > send the output?
>
> Does
>         smbcontrol <smbd-pid> pool-usage | grep total
>
> reach for a quick diagnosis, or would it show only "13.6 MB"?
> I've tried my entry (just now only 1 W98 client uses smbd), and it tells
> "total 11314 bytes in 182 blocks).

It should also show the entries that consume the memory. For
me it starts with

full talloc report on 'null_context' (total  11696 bytes in 244 blocks)
    msg_pool_usage                 contains    527 bytes in 3 blocks (ref 0)
        char                           contains    512 bytes in   1 blocks (ref 0)
        .name                          contains     15 bytes in   1 blocks (ref 0)
    struct messaging_array         contains     84 bytes in 4 blocks (ref 0)
        librpc/gen_ndr/ndr_messaging.c:152 contains     24 bytes in   2 blocks (ref 0)
            DATA_BLOB: ../librpc/ndr/ndr_basic.c:824 contains      0 bytes in   1 blocks (ref 0)
        struct ndr_pull                contains     52 bytes in   1 blocks (ref 0)
    NT_USER_TOKEN                  contains    772 bytes in 2 blocks (ref 0)
        lib/util_nttoken.c:49          contains    748 bytes in   1 blocks (ref 0)

And so on.

Volker