[Samba] Two problems with Samba in AD realm

Guillaume Rousse Guillaume.Rousse at inria.fr
Wed Nov 12 18:23:52 GMT 2008

Hello list.

I recently moved to an AD environment. I'm still keeping a samba servers
to make my cups-managed printers available to windows users, rather than
duplicating configuration with a Windows print service. But I'm facing
two problems, probably due to the way we manage AD.

First, all my host belong to a Unix-managed DNS domain
(msr-inria.inria.fr), not to the windows-managed one corresponding to
the AD realm (msr-inria.idf). It means resolving their IP address result
in foo.msr-inria.inria.fr, not in foo.msr-inria.idf. The Unix DNS is a
secondary server for the foo.msr-inria.idf, meaning SRV record lookup
still works. But all CIFS kerberos authentication attempt for the host
unqualified, or realm-qualified fails: I can't use \\foo, nor
\\foo.msr-inria.idf, only \\foo.msr-inria.inria.fr

I know this is probably due to kerberos DNS-based hostname
canonicalisation, and not samba-specific (it also occurs with netapp
filers), but I initially understood it with my samba server. Is there
anything I could do there to make user's life easier ?

Second, when kerberos autentication fails, my samba server (and I guess,
any CIFS server) fallbacks into password-based autentication. But there
is an issue with the way we manage users account. We sync our unix ldap
account into AD, meaning each 'bar' user exists in LDAP as
'MSR-INRIA.IDF\bar', but with a random password, and we authenticate
them through their Unix-managed kerberos account
'MSR-INRIA.INRIA.FR\bar'. It means trying to authenticate them as
'MSR-INRIA.IDF\bar' won't work, and I get those error messages:
[2008/11/12 18:47:32, 0] auth/auth_domain.c:domain_client_validate(260)
   domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user rousse
in domain MSR-INRIA to Domain controller CONCORDE.MSR-INRIA.IDF. Error
was NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD.
[2008/11/12 18:47:32, 0] auth/auth_domain.c:domain_client_validate(260)
   domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user rousse
in domain MSR-INRIA to Domain controller CONCORDE.MSR-INRIA.IDF. Error
was NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD.
[2008/11/12 18:47:32, 0] auth/auth_domain.c:domain_client_validate(260)
   domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user rousse
in domain MSR-INRIA to Domain controller CONCORDE.MSR-INRIA.IDF. Error
was NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD.

(I guess the windows client cached my credentials when I initially
logged in).

There is a user mapping option in samba, but it is primary meant for
mapping Windows users to Unix users, whereas I'd need there to map
Windows unqualified users to kerberos-realm users, instead of ad-realm
users. Is this possible someway ?
--
Guillaume Rousse
Service des Moyens Informatiques