[Samba] file monitoring in samba

phwashington at tx.rr.com phwashington at tx.rr.com
Wed Nov 12 18:18:14 GMT 2008

---- "Robinson wrote:

> > smbstatus will give you this information.
>
> I don't think smbstatus shows realtime filesystem activity. Beyond that,
> it definitely would not show changes to the filesystem that occur from
> other processes besides samba. Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought
> Nelson wanted to watch a directory for changes. To be thorough, that
> must include changes that occur in other ways, such as a user just
> copying a file into the directory locally.
>
> --
> Eric Robinson

I believe that smbstatus does show realtime file access, but does not show a history of file access.  I have been interested in this for awhile and I thing that audit comes closest to showing a history.
The last time I tried to work with audit it only showed information for the last session.
And the problem with both is that if someone connects and downloads copies of say a whole directory it doesn't show that.