[Samba] Vista - Profile - Local

Wed Nov 12 12:49:03 GMT 2008

On 11/12/2008, lmhelp (lmbox at wanadoo.fr) wrote:
>> As soon as you unjoin/rejoin a new domain, XP will
>> create a username.NEWDOMAIN profile on your laptop.

> Apparently it is what Vista is doing...
> A c:\Users\lmhelp.<a_samba_domain_name> is being created.

Which is precisely the way it is designed to work...

Again - as far as I know, there is NO way to allow a machine to use the
same profile for two different domains - unless, as Alex pointed out,
the other domain is trusted, but you'll still only be joined to one domain.

One possibility would be to make sure that the other domain has a user
account created that is identical to the other one, but you will have to
manually keep the passwords in sync - meaning, if you change your
password on your main machin, you'll have to chage the password for that
account on the other domain account to be the same.

> I have found a little thing:
>   I have added:
>   - a DWORD value
>   - in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System"
>   - with name "LocalProfile"
>   - and value 1 (to say "Only allow local user profiles").
>   I actually it works: I find again my previous profile.
>

> But now, I want my "ProfileImagePath" key to be set to the unique
> local profile I want to use: "c:\Users\lmhelp"
>
>   Simply changing the value:
>   "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT
>   -> CurrentVersion -> ProfileList -> ProfileImagaPath"
>   from "c:\Users\lmhelp.<a_samba_domain_name>"
>   to "c:\Users\lmhelp"
>   doesn't work.
>   I cannot log in as "<a_samba_domain_name>\lmhelp" again after
>   that change.

I would strongly urge you not to muck around with these registry
settings unless you really know what you are doing...

Here is a thread that discusses how user profiles are created that may
be of some help,

http://tiny.pl/s86h

--

Best regards,