[Samba] windows server authentication problem

walter walterwkh at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 12 06:26:54 GMT 2008

When I connect from windows machine (machine A) to a samba share at machine
B with authenticate server being machine A itself, it failed with :
> auth/auth_server.c:check_smbserver_security(363) password server win2k3svr
rejected the password

what does it mean by the ‘password reject’ message ? it only happens when
the authentication server and the client is the same machine.

here is my setup :
	Machine A : windows 2003 server
	Machine B : CentOS 4.4 kernel 2.6.9-42
	Samba version : 3.0.10

	smb.conf :
        security = SERVER
        password server = win2k3svr

however, if I connect from another windows machine (machine C) to the same
samba share at machine B with authenticate server being machine A, it
succeeded with :
> smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(648)  svr1 connect to service test
initially as user peter (uid=503, gid=503) (pid 5589)

So, I am not able to figure out the password reject error, because I am
using the same user and the same authentication server in both cases.