[Samba] how to access my Windows Vista user folder from GNU Linux

Seb spluque at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 15:19:38 GMT 2008

Hi,

I have no problems whatsoever accessing and using my GNU Linux user
directory from Windows Vista, but the reverse is not true.  My
/etc/samba/smb.conf has this (via testparm -s):

---<---------------cut here---------------start-------------->---
~$ testparm -s /etc/samba/smb.conf
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC
[global]
        server string = %h server
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *p                                                                   assword\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
        unix password sync = Yes
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        domain logons = Yes
        dns proxy = No

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /var/lib/samba/printers

I'm a KDE user, so I go to Network folders, click on the machine running
Windows.  A folder "C$" shows up, and then clicking on it tells me that
"The file or folder smb://machine/C$ does not exist.  However, it asks
me for a user name and password at other times, so the behaviour is not
consistent.  Any advice on what needs to be done would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Cheers,

--
Seb