[Samba] Problem with smbpasswd on Mac OS X

Baniz Daymov solearther at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 19:55:07 GMT 2008

Hi there!

I have a Mac Mini running Mac OS 10.4.11 and one of the user accounts
that connects from a windows laptop has stopped working, i.e. when you
try to access the user's home folder from the windows machine the
username and password are rejected.

The account is a full user account on the Mac and it has the same
username and password as the account on the windows machine.

I am able to log onto the SMB file shares on the Mac from the Windows
machine with a different username and password, so I know that samba
is running ok.

I am able to log onto the Mac itself using the username and password
that are rejected when you try to connect to the samba file shares
from a windows machine, so I know that the password is correct. Also,
this used to work, so it's not like I haven't ever managed to get onto
the samba file shares with this username/password.

I tried to use smbpasswd to reset the smb password in case it had
somehow been changed and no longer matched the OS X password and I got
the following:

root# smbpasswd <username redacted>
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
[-14200]add_record_attributes: authenticate_node error
odssam_update_sam_account: [-14200]add_record_attributes
Failed to modify entry for user <username redacted>.
Failed to modify password entry for user <username redacted>

Any ideas as to what might be going on? If there's any more info that
would be useful, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your valuable time.

--
Matt Jones