[Samba] Samba spawning excessive smbd processes.

Marco van Putten Marco.vanPutten at tudelft.nl
Sat Nov 8 17:28:42 GMT 2008

Hi,

We're running Samba (3.0.28-1.el5_2.1) on a Redhat (5.2) server using
winbind to authenticate against a Windows AD.

This all worked fine for a while. But now we have the problem that
(some) users coming from Linux clients cause an excessive amount of smbd
processes. We had 1 user who had more than 1700 smbd processes all
coming from the same client. While on the client side there where only a
few cifs processes running.

All these processes are not responding to a normal kill. They have no
more connection to the client what so ever and have to be killed with a
kill -9.

Does anyone out there have had the same experiences or does someone know
the solution to our problem? Please let me know.

Bye,
Marco.