[Samba] AD howtos: LDAP needed?

Hector Blanco white.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 11:34:24 GMT 2008

Hello!

Well... I am just a newbie, so I might be wrong (and I'm probably am)
but I don't think you need to set up Ldap to autenticate a Linux
machine against an Active Directory server. If you want to do the
opposite, probably yes (I'm not 100% sure). But since you're using the
"getent passwd" command, I assume your Linux machine is the client,
right? Then I don't think you need LDAP (but as I said, I'm probably
wrong :S ) It should be enough with Samba

I found this:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Authenticating-Linux-Active-Directory.html
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-enterprise-47/linux-clientactive-directory-server-home-directories-403160/

Maybe it can help