[Samba] 64 Bit XP client unable to add ACE on 3.0.24 Samba Domain member server

malk at sidehack.sat.gweep.net malk at sidehack.sat.gweep.net
Thu Nov 6 23:14:38 GMT 2008

Hi all-

I searched quite a bit and couldn't really come up with anything, so I'm
posting to the list to hopefully find out if I have any options.

I've got a production FC6 box running 3.0.24-7.fc6 build of samba server
that's very stable for us.  It's a member of an ADS domain w/ server 2003
domain controllers.

Recent 64 bit windows XP pro boxes are having the exact problem described
in release notes I found for HP's CIFS server which I'm assuming uses some
version of samba for it's implementation:

Problem

64 bit Windows XP clients are unable to add a new ACE. Adding an ACE through
Windows Explorer File->Properties->Security interface to a file or directory
from a Windows XP Professional 64-bit edition results in an error that reads:

This program cannot open the required dialog box because the specified
computer <samba servername> cannot be determined to belong to a domain.
Try again.

Workaround

There is no known workaround at this time.

My question is - does anyone know if this is fixed in a more recent version
of 3.0.X series or the 3.2 series of Samba?

I ran smbd w/ strace turned on and found that the 64 bit client tries to
query some things from the smb server's "registry" where smb reads a bunch
of stuff from /var/cache/samba/registry.tdb and whatever goes back to
the 64 bit XP client makes it think the samba server isn't joined to a
domain.  The same thing on 32 bit clients works just fine -- also note
my samba server is a 32 bit box.  I noticed a couple of time() system calls
in the strace output and perhaps it's a 64 bit versus 32 timestamp issue
of some sort?

Is there a registry setting on the 64 bit windows boxes we could tweek
to make it be more 32 bit compatible for file sharing ACE entry operations?

Is there something in smb.conf on the server we could tweek to tackle this?
A newer version of Samba is possibly an option, but I generally like to leave
boxes that have been running rock solid alone.

I'd appreciate any info on this one.

Thanks

-Eric Malkowski