[Samba] regression in 3.2.4? Homedir not retrieved with idmap_ad backend

Jelmer Jaarsma jelmer.jaarsma at sara.nl
Thu Nov 6 10:29:52 GMT 2008

Hi,

I'm currently running Ubuntu Intrepid and I'm testing Samba (winbind
specifically) with our Active Directory.
Our AD schema has been extended with the proper fields for storing
rfc2307 information.

Short explanation:

With Samba 3.2.3 the homedir fields are properly being read from the AD,
with Samba 3.2.4 they are not, the values returned by "wbinfo -i <user>"
and/or "getent passwd" will have the format of /home/%D/%U, which is the
default for the "template homedir" setting which I have *not* specified
in my smb.conf. A workaround for me currently is to specify the
"template homedir" setting with the correct format in smb.conf.

More detailed info:

When I'm using the samba-3.2.3 package currently in Ubuntu Intrepid
everything is working properly, except that Winbind keeps on
segfaulting. I believe it is related to the fact that we have users and
groups who do NOT have the RFC2307 fields filled. This specific bug was
fixed in Samba 3.2.4 (and I've filed a bug at Ubuntu for it).

Since Ubuntu is currently not shipping a samba 3.2.4 package I took the
package sources from Debian unstable and recompiled those on Intrepid.
Since the samba-3.2.3 package from Ubuntu had been synched with Debian I
doubt that this is much of a problem.

So just to be clear about this, I'm comparing the Ubuntu
2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3 package to the Debian 2:3.2.4-1 package.

You will find my smb.conf attached below.
Kind regards,

Jelmer Jaarsma

My smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = KA
        realm = KA.SARA.NL
        server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
        security = ADS
        map to guest = Bad User
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        disable netbios = yes