[Samba] Samba and oplocks

Thu Nov 6 09:59:49 GMT 2008

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 10:33:37AM +0100, ml at s-it.ch wrote:
> Hi
>
> We've here some problems with Samba on a freeBSD-Server.
>
> FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE
> Samba Version 3.0.25a
>
> The problem is about locking of open files. For example when a user A
> opens a excel-sheet and a user B also opens the same file, user B won't
> only open this file as read-only.
> We moved from a Windows Server to a freebsd based one about 2 weeks ago
> and we also had some problems with dbs and mdb files.
> Then I was able to fix the problem with the following entry under the
> global section in the smb.conf
>
> veto oplock files = /*.mdb/*.MDB/*.dbf/*.DBF
>
> We have the problems with the office documents since 2 days and I can't
> remember to have something changed in samba config.
>
> I also red this article.
> http://oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch05_05.html
>
> Now I'm wondering if someone got some more experiences with samba and the
> way locks are handled?
> Does freeBSD support kernel oplocks?

Kernel oplocks are only needed if you access files from both
Samba and NFS or local FreeBSD processes. If that is not the
case, kernel oplocks are irrelevant, Samba handles oplocks
itself.

In general, I would say that with current versions we are
correct wrt share modes, oplocks and byte range locks. I am
not aware that 3.0.25a had significant bugs in that area,
but to be sure I would have to look. You might want to try a
later version like 3.0.32 or 3.2.4.

> I also compared this behavior with our Synology NAS-Server and there seems
> to be no problem with handling locks.

What OS does that run? As it also offers telnet and ssh
access, I would guess something unixish, so chances are good
that it also runs Samba inside. You might want to look which
version that is.

Volker