[Samba] Setting up PDC w/ LDAP

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Thu May 29 19:51:27 GMT 2008

John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 May 2008 05:45:24 pm Daniel L. Miller wrote:
>
>> OK, payment in advance: :-) :-) :-)
>>
>> Wait a minute, let me change currencies....
>>

> Awe .. forget it! ;-)

I'm assuming my last payment still has me covered - if you need more
retainer please let me know.

>> Almost there.  Really....
>>
>> Do I NEED those builtin groups for anything?  Do I WANT those builtin
>> groups for anything (besides avoiding those nuisance error messages in
>> my samba logs)?
>>

> You do not need them specifically.  They can be useful, but they are certainly
> not essential.

I'm still coming up with a good question to ask on this part....

>>> First: Do NOT use a domain name that has a '.' in it.  That has
>>> unexpected name resolution consequences.  A Samab smb.conf workgroup=
>>> parameter should not have a dot in it.
>>>
>> Ok...now that I've setup everything (again, for the nth time), do I need
>> to reconfigure the server and every client?  Or just rename it on the
>> server and the change will automagically propagate?
>>

> It is safer to re-add your clients to the domain.  Even though it is the
> domain SID that really matters. If it changes you can reset it to the
> original value, there are some operations that are tied to the domain name,
> so it is best to readd the clients to the domain.

Is there a better (read: more efficient, automated, less
labor-intensive, more fun, whatever) method to re-add than manually
visiting each workstation (either physically or via RDC of some sort),
leaving the old domain, and then joining the new one?

--
Daniel