[Samba] Populating the samba/ldap database

Gar Nelson Gar.Nelson at noaa.gov
Thu May 29 16:18:51 GMT 2008

I'm working on getting Samba3 running in a RHEL4 environment.  The
components are;
samba3-3.0.28-35
openldap-2.2.13-8.el4_6.4
smbldap-tools-0.9.4-1.el4.rf

I already have a working and functional ldap installation. The rub is
that the existing ldap accounts do not have any samba specific
attributes. Samba by Example assumes that I'm initially creating an ldap
database, where the reality is that I'm adding samba to an existing ldap
enabled network.

So here's the question: If I perform step 3 of Procedure 5.8 in Chapter
5 of the online Samba by Example (smbldap-populate -a root -k 0 -m 0) am
I going to screw up my existing accounts, or will this politely add the
necessary samba attributes to the existing accounts?

I'd just as soon avoid hosing up all my ldap user accounts, but I'd
really like to have a functional samba installation too.

Thanks for any assistance.
Gar