[Samba] Winbind: SID2UID looks in own domain only ?

Anders.Strandberg at tietoenator.com Anders.Strandberg at tietoenator.com
Thu May 29 15:03:51 GMT 2008

Hi,

Trusting domain: DOMA
Trusted domain : DOMB

We are running samba-winbind 3.0.24 and have problems when
authenticating user from a trusted domain (DOMB) (idmap backend = ad) in
to DOMA.
After some investigations, we found that when we are trying to login as
a user from DOMB, it seems that sid2uid looks in own domain only, and
fails to retrieve uid from sid.

In DOMA:

 wbinfo -m shows the trusted domains OK.
 wbinfo -a DOMB\\user%password works .
 wbinfo -u  list users from both domains.

But wbinfo -i DOMB\\user returns

Could not get info for user DOMB\user

I have checked that the sid is retrieved correctly , but the sid2uid
mapping does not succeed due to the fact that the lookup seems to take
place in DOMA only and returns:

Could not query user's DOMB\user uid

I gather that this should work . Does anyone have any experiences from
this ?   I have seen some questions before regarding this while googling
around but no answers.

Thanx,
Anders