Re: [SAMBA] CVE-2008-1105 - Boundary failure when parsing SMB responses

Alexander forsmb at mail.ru
Thu May 29 07:34:09 GMT 2008

Hello Jerry, list,

Could someone please provide a bit more information regarding this vulnerability, in terms of what configurations are affected?

Everything I could find on Secunia and in the message below tells me that vulnerable are the cases when smbd acts as a client - what are they?

Secunia suggests that: "Successful exploitation allows execution of arbitrary code by tricking a user into connecting to a malicious server (e.g. by clicking an "smb://" link) or by sending specially crafted packets to an "nmbd" server configured as a local or domain master browser. Do not connect to untrusted SMB servers or follow untrusted links."

What could that mean? E.g. may we consider a situation when all "browser" settings are "no" and no DC on Samba (authentication is done via MS AD, Samba is a member of) plus it is not used for printing as not vulnerable?

That would make our strategy for patching more clear as we'd like to avoid unnecessary downtimes.
Please do not hesitate to move this discussion to samba-technical, if you feel it's more appropriate.

Thanks,
Alexander