[Samba] home lan

Shaun Marolf shaun.marolf at gmail.com
Thu May 29 03:26:34 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 28 May 2008 10:04:08 pm David Kuntadi wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:39 AM, Skip Guenter <sguenter at austin.rr.com>
wrote:
> >Yesterday I was VNCing into one of the crunchers and it wouldn't
> > connect.  Ran a .bat file I have that pings all the machines and tells me
> > if any don't respond that should.  Dang router (192.168.nnn.1) didn't
> > respond... along with some of the other machines.  After rebooting cable
> > modem, router, wireless AP - NO CHANGE.  For unrelated reasons I happened
> > to crash my desktop (C17, the win XP box) a bit later... when it came
> > back up all was fine and everybody on the network was again consistently
> > pingable, sub 1ms.  I'm concluding it's something to do with C17 being
> > the one and only 'computer browser list maintainer' on the network.
> > Maybe a bad conclusion but it still brings up that I think I need to
> > address getting a 'backup computer browser' on the LAN.
>
> I think the only problem is IP address of individual computer. Is this
> still static of DHCP? If it is DHCP, which computer is running DHCP?
>
> If the problem occur again, please check both computers IP address.
> Even local dns would not help you to solve this as you are connecting
> using IP address. DNS only usefull if you are using name, not IP (to
> convert name to IP).
>
> DK

Shorewall. DHCP Server and BIND are three ways to get a home LAN going.
Shorewall will handle NAT and provide your security while DHCP Server will
handle assigning IP address assignments. BIND will handle internal DNS stuff
(and can even cache the External DNS.) All of these will allow Samba to work
as well.

Mandriva Linux even has a Wizard to set up all these sevices for you.

--Shaun