[Samba] printer drivers - Add Printer Wizard disabled

Joshua Swink joshua.swink at gmail.com
Tue May 27 23:55:47 GMT 2008

I'm following along in the guide, trying to make printer drivers
available from Samba. But when I right-click on a printer in Windows
XP and select the "properties" tab, it's disabled:

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=BMeeHijW2w%2FyTvDsjpQbEQ%3D%3D

So how do I enable this so the client can upload the drivers? So far I
have tried:

* Add the name of the user as "printer admin = username" in smb.conf.
However, testparm told me that "printer admin" was deprecated. Also it
didn't work.
* I wasn't sure if I was connected as a guest, so disabled all "guest
ok = yes" settings. However, this didn't prompt Windows to pop up a
login dialog and the printer wizard remains disabled.

Here is the output of smbstatus. It shows the machine I was connected
from. smb.conf contains "printer admin = pmoose" in the [print$]
section, yet I still can't upload the driver.

root at print00:/etc/samba# smbstatus

Samba version 3.0.28a
PID     Username      Group         Machine

Service      pid     machine       Connected at
IPC$         16232   pmoose1       Tue May 27 23:38:06 2008

No locked files

Thanks for any assistance.

Josh