[Samba] Re: Samba 3.0.25b on centos 5.1 a lot of signal 11 very unstable!!!

Avery Payne apayne at pcfruit.com
Tue May 27 18:29:34 GMT 2008

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 22:12:53 -0800, Alberto Moreno wrote:

>     The only problem is this new server, i read about some changes
> with samba 3.0.25b and oldest version, since we add this server to the
> domain we had been having problems, we enable the roaming profile to our
> windows clients, but some times the server doesn't update the user
> profile, on other situations we lost the profile, example firefox
> settings, or if  the user update some excel file next day appear with no
> changes.

Roaming profiles are just problematic, even on native Windows servers.  I
have seen several roaming profiles implode on WinXP client boxes.  I've
also seen bad behavior with Win2k client/server setups as well.  Symptoms
include the client creating new profiles, ignoring existing profiles, or
dialogs indicating profile corruption.

>    We have almost 3GB of core dumps since we setup samba inside
> winbind folder, look this is my smb.conf file:

[ lots of stuff snipped out ]

> > lib/fault.c:dump_core(181) dumping core in /var/log/samba/cores/
winbindd

[ even more stuff snipped out]

> [0x645c97] #19 winbindd [0x6443f2] #20 winbindd [0x615368] #21
> winbindd(main+0x94d) [0x615dbd] #22 /lib/libc.so.6(__
> libc_start_main+0xdc) [0x21fdec] #23 winbindd [0x614061] : 13 Time(s)

> Hope this info give some point to start debugging this problem, does
> someone see what is causing the problem? Thanks all for your time, if u
> need more info please let me know, thanks!!!

I'm no Samba or programming expert, but that last line looks like a libc
segfault.  Sig 11 errors a long time ago used to implicate RAM issues,
usually due to bad contacts or faulty RAM chips.    This may sound silly
but try powering down the machine, unseating and reseating all of your
RAM.  If it continues, try reducing the RAM and see if the issue goes
away (due to a bad RAM stick).  Just my .02 cents.