[Samba] Can Samba send DNS updates?

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Tue May 27 06:43:02 GMT 2008

vr wrote:
> I have a static IP debian Linux host successfully participating on a
> Windows 2003 forest and joined to their Win2003 domain.
>
> I'd like to have my Samba client update their Windows DNS during Samba
> startup/shutdown like a typical Windows pc would do... Is this
> possible and what is the magic tweak?
If it has a static address, why not create static DNS entries? I think
normally DNS updates are done by the DHCP software so unless you are
assigning your static addresses via DHCP I don't think it will work.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>