[Samba] how to get Windows to notice unix-based delete command (inotify)

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Tue May 27 02:01:38 GMT 2008

Hi there

We have a Samba-based "upload server" where people put files to be
processed. Anyway, when they upload files, a Unix-based script runs and
moves the files off. However, the Windows explorer app doesn't "notice"
the removal, and the user still sees the files. If they F5/refresh
explorer, the files indeed have disappeared. If I have two explorer
windows open from two different Windows hosts on the same Samba dir, and
create a file on one, it shows up within 1-2 seconds on the other -
which is good.

Obviously this is an inotify/dnotify issue, so I guess my question is,
how can I change the Unix script so that Samba is able to "tell" the
connected client that a file change has occurred, so that it refreshes
the content?

This is under CentOS-4.6 with Samba-3.0.28a/3.0.29, and "kernel change
notify = Yes"

Thanks!

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417