[Samba] samba authentication awfully slow

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Fri May 23 18:36:07 GMT 2008

Henning Evers wrote:
> Hey there everybody.
>
> I am new to the list, so bear with me if make mistakes :)
>
> I updated my Server from FC7 to FC9 and with it came Samba
> 3.2.0pre3-9.fc9 (heaven knows why it had to be a pre version).
>
> I reused my old config and noticed that displaying all hosts in my
> workgroup as well as authentication went from normal to awfully slow.
> Once the connection is established it is bearable, though ropy.
>
> 	smbclient -L samsara //from an Ubuntu 8.04 in the same network
> 	smbclient -L localhost //from the server itself
>
> results in:
> Receiving SMB: Server stopped responding
> session setup failed: Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000
> milliseconds
>
> I have been reading a lot about it, i found others with the same
> problems, but i have not found a solution. I am so out of ideas here...
>
> I hope someone just says "easy dude - its only ..."
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Henning
>
> p.s.: Here's my testconfig, for what its worth it...
>
> [global]
>         workgroup = SKYNET
>         security = USER
>         smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>         private dir = /etc/samba
>
> [Plans]
>         path = /export/samba
>         read only = Yes
>         guest ok = Yes

It does not sound like this could be the cause of the problem, based on
the fact that it just suddenly showed up on an update, but how many
lines are in your smbpasswd file? It may be that you'll see substantial
speed gains regardless moving that file to tdbsam, which is easily done
with pdbedit -i and -e.

HTH,
- --