[Samba] Somewhat bizzare share issue

ScottZ mylists at pinesalad.net
Fri May 23 01:11:57 GMT 2008

I have 19 servers with this smb.conf share definition working:

[export]
        comment = Exported Files
        path = /tmp/export
        guest ok = Yes

On the 20th server however, this just doesn't want to work.

I've gone through the basics of guest access and permissions more than a few times trying to figure this one out.

Approaching this from another angle, I tried the following in smb.conf:

[export]
        comment = Exported Files
        path = /tmp/export
        guest ok = Yes

[exports]
        comment = Exported Files Test
        path = /tmp/export
        guest ok = Yes

Which produces the following on the Windows client side:

C:\>net view \\myhost
Shared resources at \\myhost

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

export      Disk           Exported Files
exports     Disk           Exported Files Test
The command completed successfully.

C:\>dir \\myhost\export
The network path was not found.

C:\>dir \\myhost\exports
 Volume in drive \\myhost\exports is exports
 Volume Serial Number is 11F9-174D

 Directory of \\myhost\exports

05/22/2008  03:09 PM    <DIR>          .
05/22/2008  05:03 PM    <DIR>          ..
05/21/2008  09:40 AM           784,448 testfile.dat
               1 File(s)        784,448 bytes
               0 Dir(s)   4,453,707,776 bytes free

I'm running smbd -D -d2 and the client log file isn't throwing any errors when I try to connect to export.

Anything else to look at for this one?