[Samba] Phantom permissions -- where should I look ?

Chris Hall chris.hall at halldom.com
Thu May 22 17:35:10 GMT 2008

Using 3.0.28a.

I have a file:

  -rw------- 1 lynda SMB_USER 89 2008-05-22 17:03 lynda at adviva[2].txt

Using "cp -a" I created an apparently identical copy except a trivially
different name:

  -rw------- 1 lynda SMB_USER 89 2008-05-22 17:03 lynda at adwiwa[2].txt

Using vim I created a brand new file, with identical contents and
similar name:

  -rw------- 1 lynda SMB_USER 89 2008-05-22 18:18 lynda at adviva[1].txt

However, when I try to type these in a Command Prompt, I get:

  Z:\>type lynda at adviva[2].txt
  Access is denied.

  Z:\>type lynda at adwiwa[2].txt
  ansv4_uid

  Z:\>type lynda at adviva[1].txt
  Access is denied.

Curiously, when I try this from a different Windows machine, I get:

  Z:\>type lynda at adviva[2].txt
  ansv4_uid

  Z:\>type lynda at adwiwa[2].txt
  ansv4_uid

  Z:\>type lynda at adviva[1].txt
  ansv4_uid

There appears to be a phantom permission setting which is partly
filename specific or machine specific.  Or there is some subtle
difference between the machines....

Can anyone suggest where I should be looking for this ?  (getfacl shows
nothing more than the basic permissions).

[I can edit lynda at adviva[2].txt without making any difference.]

Chris
--
Chris Hall