[Samba] samba authentication awfully slow

Henning Evers h.evers at kiel-media.de
Thu May 22 15:06:24 GMT 2008

Hey there everybody.

I am new to the list, so bear with me if make mistakes :)

I updated my Server from FC7 to FC9 and with it came Samba
3.2.0pre3-9.fc9 (heaven knows why it had to be a pre version).

I reused my old config and noticed that displaying all hosts in my
workgroup as well as authentication went from normal to awfully slow.
Once the connection is established it is bearable, though ropy.

	smbclient -L samsara //from an Ubuntu 8.04 in the same network
	smbclient -L localhost //from the server itself

results in:
Receiving SMB: Server stopped responding
session setup failed: Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000
milliseconds

I have been reading a lot about it, i found others with the same
problems, but i have not found a solution. I am so out of ideas here...

I hope someone just says "easy dude - its only ..."

Thanks in advance,
Henning

p.s.: Here's my testconfig, for what its worth it...

[global]
        workgroup = SKYNET
        security = USER
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd