[Samba] Directory permission windows issue

Conor O'Callaghan cocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu May 22 10:42:24 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I have been trying to fix this issue for over a week with no avail. I am
using samba 3.0.28a/29 authenticating against AD server. This functions
correctly and I can set permissions correctly on files and can see the
permissions in the XP security dialog. However the same cannot be said of
directories in samba. I can create directories and once created I can change
permissions, however the permissions never show in the XP security dialog
box, thus making it extremely difficult to know what permissions have been
set on a directory form a windows user point of view. If I watch the
permissions on the directory in linux I can see the permissions being
changed according to what is requested. This is little use though as the
windows user will never know or forget what permissions they have set.

Is it possible to resolve this in some way? The partition for the share is
mounted with acls and the kernel is 2.6.18-6-686 on debian etch.

Any help with this issue is greatly appreciated, as I had hoped to replace a
windows share with this, it's a step in the right direction,

Best Regards,

Conor

Here is the share config:

[data01]