[Samba] Looking for a set of definitive answers (long)

Chris Osicki osk at admin.swisscom-mobile.ch
Thu May 22 08:59:08 GMT 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008 18:47:52 +0000 (UTC)
Avery Payne <apayne at pcfruit.com> wrote:

> Question:
>
> We recently moved to a Samba-based file server, which holds mission-
> critical data on it (.dbf files used by our Accounting software, etc.)
> The goal was to create a file server that had excellent performance while
> providing Volume Management, but we felt that something like Veritas was
> overkill for our needs.
>
> Design Goals:
> - Redundant Hardware
> - Manual Failover (this was an acceptable solution)
> - Very large storage capacity (minimum 1 Terabyte)
> - Better than 100Mbyte/sec throughput
> - Volume Management, Journaled Filesystem
> - Drop-In Replacement for aging Win2k file server
> - Use existing admin tools to avoid retraining

[snip]

> - Permissions don't propigate through the filesystem.

With POSIX ACL's they do. Take a look at "default ACL", it defines permissions
newly created files/directories inherits from their parent directory.
I might be misunderstanding your complains, though.
My Windows know-how is limited to an absolute minimum necessary to survive
in the wild world out there ;-)

As for the winbind and tdb files: if you fail over to the standby server you don't have
your SID to UID/GID mappings anymore, unless you copy then somehow over.
The LDAP backend for winbind is a great feature and I would suggest you to take it into
consideration.
I run several Samba instances on few Linux clusters with a SunOne Ldap "cluster" as backend
and it works very well (touching wood ;-)

Thanks and regards,
Chris