[Samba] howto sync unix passwd & samba passwd?

Edmundo Valle Neto edmundo.vn at gmail.com
Wed May 21 23:33:48 GMT 2008

Iris Lames escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using samba-3.0.28-0.fc8. I'm trying to build a file server for 100
> users. I created a perl script that automatically adds the 100 users plus
> their passwords with success. Now I'm having difficulty creating a script
> using the smbpasswd command because passwords must be entered in stdin. I
> also tried smbpasswd -s option but it asks passwd in stdin. Is there a way
> that I can use the command smbpasswd plus the user password in one line?

As already answered by other people, you can use expect, I use it to set
initial passwords, feeding smbldap-passwd in automated installs, it
works and is the only solution that I know about too.

> Also, I read about mksmbpasswd.sh and test it but it did not work at all.
> My smb.conf contains:
> smb passwd file = /etc/samba/sambapassword
> and did:
> cat /etc/passwd | grep test | /usr/bin/mksmbpasswd.sh >
> /etc/samba/sambapassword

What do you mean by did not work at all? Have you sure that you are
executing it in the right place? Theres nothing wrong with that line
unless mksmbpasswd isn't where you think it is (isn't it in sbin?) or
isn't working as it should (not likely).

> Is there a way for me to sync the userpassword and smbpasswd? Help me
> please.
>
> -Iris Lames

I don't know if I got it right. Doing what you are trying to do will
just INITIALLY create the same accounts in samba as in /etc/passwd
without setting the passwords (I don't know Fedora, but Debian based
distros does that by default in the package scripts if the user choose
to). Debian can convert it to tdbsam after that too. All that can be
scripted.

If by "sync" you mean initially populate smbpasswd as you are trying to
do, the easiest way is already this way. Any other way you will redoing
the mksmbpasswd script.

Regards.

Edmundo Valle Neto