[Samba] SAMBA PDC with LDAP backend syncing unix/samba accounts ...

Edmundo Valle Neto edmundo.vn at gmail.com
Tue May 20 18:20:22 GMT 2008

yogi escreveu:
> Hi ,
>        Thanks Edmundo and Louis for the input.
> Edmundo you are absolutely right about three hashes.
> I figuered that part. I always wondered how will samba
> generate a hash from my unix hash ;).
>
> Now coming back to my question. I will try and be even more
> specific.
>
> IF a user tries to change password on his/her wks, then
> he/she uses "passwd" in which case it uses pam  and unix
> password is changed leaving samba password.
>
> How do I  provide my users a common password sync option on
> their respective workstation ?
>
> Anybody ,
>
> Thanks in advance,
> yogesh

You can use "smbpasswd -r pdcname".
This is the simplest way to change the password.

If you really want to use the passwd command, you will need to use
winbind in these workstations and the pam_winbind.so pam module to
change the password trough it.

You could even use smbldap-passwd to change the password directly in the
base, but you would need to make some changes in the script first.

Regards.

Edmundo Valle Neto