[Samba] domain memership and security=domain

Julian Pace Ross linux at prisma.com.mt
Mon May 19 21:58:05 GMT 2008

Dear List,

I have successfully deployed my first Samba 3 PDC with LDAP, and I have
several XP pro workstations successfully joined to the domain. There are
some other XP pro workstations that are not  joined to the domain yet, but
are on the same network.

Now I have another Linux (Suse 9.2) PC (separate from the PDC) that is
acting as a file server, with it's own shares.
This PC has no local user accounts, and I set this with security = domain,
passwd server = SambaPDC and successfully joined it to the domain with net
rpc join etc..

On each share I specify which users can access that share (valid users = )

My question is somewhat conceptual (and i suspect, rather basic):
Once the file server is joined to the domain and is authenticating
everything with the Samba3 PDC, should security = domain mean that only
workstations already joined to the domain can have access to the file server
shares?
I would imagine this to be the concept behind security = domain, but until
now, I can still access the shares even from the non-domain workstations).

In other words, can a Samba3 domain member limit access to its shares only
to other PCs that are also domain members?
Or, even better, can this be specified specifically per share?

Thanks and regards
Julian