[Samba] SAMBA PDC with LDAP backend syncing unix/samba accounts ...

yogi byogi at yahoo.com
Sat May 17 17:28:58 GMT 2008

Hi all ,
         I'm running Debian Etch . I just finished
configuring SAMBA
as PDC to authenticate against LDAP server which works.
The system in question uses default debian etch packages.
As My Linix/unix accounts can authenticate against it. The
LDAP works.
    I  Used the default shipped smbldap-populate script to
setup SAMBA.
       Everything seems to work as Anonymous User or as
user root.

shark:/etc/samba# smbclient -L shark -N
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[LDAPBIOMAX] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.24]

        Share name       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        netlogon        Disk      Network Logon Service
        knoppix         Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server
3.0.24)
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[LDAPBIOMAX] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.24]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        SHARK                Samba Server 3.0.24

      Now when I try and login as normal user, which i have
enabled
with "smbldap-usermod -a  yogesh"

smbldap-usershow yogesh

dn: uid=yogesh,ou=People,dc=biomax,dc=de
uid: yogesh
cn: yogesh
objectClass:
account,posixAccount,top,shadowAccount,sambaSamAccount
userPassword: {MD5}.SOMELONGHASH ....
shadowLastChange: 12900
shadowMax: 10000
loginShell: /bin/bash
uidNumber: 668
gidNumber: 100
homeDirectory: /sk-home/yogesh
sambaPwdLastSet: 0
sambaLogonTime: 0
sambaLogoffTime: 2147483647
sambaKickoffTime: 2147483647
sambaPwdCanChange: 0
sambaPwdMustChange: 2147483647
displayName: System User
sambaSID: S-1-5-21-4033729970-1053622217-143831336-9886
sambaAcctFlags: [UX ]

-----

Now when I try and connect I get the following failure .
shark:/etc/samba# smbclient -L shark -U yogesh
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

After Digging thru the logs I figuered that if I enter
password using
"smbldap-password" . It works.

Now my Stupid questions ?
I already have unix users working of LDAP, How can I
automate the addition of remaining accounts with SAMBA ?

Also whenever a unix user changes passwd samba password is
not updated ?

Any pointers will be of great help.

Thanks in advace
yogesh