[Samba] NetBIOS name resolution from Linux

Olivier Parisy ml.olivier.parisy at free.fr
Sat May 17 15:00:17 GMT 2008

John H Terpstra a écrit :
> No. Not a packaging issue.  winbind and wins NSS files are built out of the
> same code tree.  It is a good idea to keep them together - just use what you
> need and ignore the rest.

That's a good point! Following this advice, I installed the winbind
package but disabled winbind daemon's launch at start up (by deleting
the proper /etc/rc2.d link).

Things now work properly: I can ping NetBIOS names from my Linux
machine, and my SMB share still work without modifications since winbind
daemon is not launched.

Thanks!

Regards,
Olivier.