[Samba] NetBIOS name resolution from Linux

Olivier Parisy ml.olivier.parisy at free.fr
Sat May 17 11:57:07 GMT 2008

Chris Smith a écrit :
> A few thoughts, take from them what you will (and remember, free advice
> is worth what you pay for it).

That is understandable. Thanks for your time :-)

> It's really good to have proper IP name resolution. Requires DNS or
> (ugh) hosts files.
>
> It can also be good to have NetBIOS name resolution, if you have the
> need (Windows type browsing and sharing in non-native AD environments).
> Implies WINS or (ugh) lmhosts files for resolution (or you're left only
> with broadcasts).

Yes, that is what I would like to achieve, and without static settings
as much as possible. I am actually mostly interested in NetBIOS names
resolutions (all my computers use Windows or Linux + Samba); that LAN
worked without a DNS until now, and I would like to keep it that way.

> It's good to avoid security=share, especially if you want to run WINS.

I understand this. But that is simpler, and enough for me. That share is
only used by local, trusted computers.

> And yes, a proper setup using security=user can provide guest shares.

I suppose so. But as described in my previous answers, everything is
already working flawlessly, excepted the Linux NetBIOS name resolution.
So I would like to avoid changing all my setting just for solving this,
if at all possible.

> Winbind is normally used to authenticate against Windows servers that
> are running WINS or AD, so that you don't need to duplicate the Windows
> user/groups.

I think that is the crux of the matter. I am definitely not interested
in this functionality of winbind, which seems to impose a modification
of all my setup; all I am interested in is the name resolution part (for
which a bridging through the Name Service Switch seems reasonable).

By the way, people on #samba seemed surprised by the fact that I needed
to install the winbind packet to gain access to ls /lib/lib_wins.so.2.
Is this the same with other distributions (I am using Debian Etch)?. Is
there as an example a way I could compile and install only this library,
without winbind?

> You don't mention how big your network is, but if you're dealing with 5
> or more systems I highly suggest both DNS and WINS over their static
> equivalents, hosts and lmhosts, respectively. Even with fewer systems,
> it can be a good idea to bother with the setup if you intend to grow or
> want flexibility.

I should have definitely stated this from the start. My setting is the
following: a Windows host embedding a Debian virtual machine. Both get
Internet connectivity and IP addresses through the DHCP server of a
small xDSL routing box.

I am interested in NetBIOS resolution so that the virtual machine could
more easily get the Windows host IP (remember that this is a dynamic
setting).

So yes, I could hardcode everything or, at the opposite of the scale,
install a full DNS and WINS solution. But I expected a simpler, more
flexible solution could be found inbetween.

Regards,
Olivier Parisy.