[Samba] Re: [Fwd: File Locking and Permissions Issue]

Fri May 16 18:52:40 GMT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 10:24:23AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > I'd like to have Jack set up a share on one of the
> > Windows workstations and point 2 computers at that
> > database and see if the same issue occurs, just to make
> > sure we are looking in the right direction.
>
> That seems like a good plan. Please let the list know if
> you get stuck and need further help.

In case it works differently between files stored on Windows
and files stored on Samba, we need comparative sniffs.

> > (For the record, the issue already was escalated and I
> > am not first-level support.  Unfortunately if it went
> > higher the case would probably be dismissed as "OS not
> > supported")

Apologies, I was quite rude. But I really got the impression
that the first and second answers on this list had been
ignored. And a second opener on the same file does
definitely break an oplock :-)

If you have your software running everywhere even without
oplocks, there must be something else that causes the
slowdown. Sniffs might really help.

> How can we change that ? There are many organizations
> (Linux distro's, OEM's, major vendors like IBM, HP, Sun
> etc.) who ship Samba as a supported product. Is there
> something we can do to help change the policy in your
> company ?

Yes, I'd be really happy to help.

Volker