[Samba] add machine script option

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri May 16 17:26:21 GMT 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008 09:46:15 am Leandro Tracchia wrote:
> i'm reading through the samba howto. section 6.2.3 (page 105) shows the add
> machine script as follows:
>
> add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /var/lib/nobody -g 100 -s
> /bin/false -M %u
>
> i have a problem with the -M option. i cannot find this option in useradd's
> man page.
>
> can i assume this example is incorrect??
>
> what would be a correct example???

I am the author of that document.  The problem is that on some Linux
distributions the "-M" option is replaced with "-m" - it means to create the
home directory if it does not exist.  In fact, if I am not mistaken, the
reference you are referring to specifically relates to this command on Red
Hat Linux. Corrct?

FYI: In the real world I would probably NOT include the "-M" option.

- John T.