[Samba] NetBios name resolution from WINDOWS

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Fri May 16 14:09:53 GMT 2008

Hi,
I've been following a similar and current thread about name resolution
from LINUX side.

I have exactly the opposite problem (running ubuntu 7.10 on a network
with a mixture ubuntu 6.06, WinXP and WinVista boxes)

The winboxes cannot see or mount this 7.10 box

I can mount WinPC shares on this 7.10 box.
I was wondering about firewalls, but I can ping this 7.10 from the
WinBox by IP address but _not_ by netbios name.

I do not have any issues on the 8 other ubuntu 6.06 boxes on the network.

The smb.conf files are "largely the same" on both the 6.06 boxes and the
7.10 box.
If I ping by IP - I get a response.
If I ping gm0:  Ping request could not find gm0.....
If I ping gm0.geograph.co.za then it works and I get the correct IP
address too.
The above pings are from a VISTA box.

ps -ef shows nmbd is running

By the way, from windows vista explorer, _all_ of these attempts return
:  "windows cannot find \\xxxxx. check spelling and try again."

\\gm0
\\gm0.geograph.co.za
\\192.168.0.1                # which is the fixed IP for gm0, yet
explorer cannot see it this way

Yet \\gl0 and all the other linux boxes are accessible from this Vista box.

BTW: I'm not considering firewall & Squid proxy stuff on this gm0 box
because ping does work with full name (gm0.geograph.co.za)

Can someone please give me some ideas to work on?

Thanks,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 31255, Tokai 7966, South Africa.

B3-106 Tokai Village, cnr Vans/Tokai Rds,
Tokai 7945, Western Cape, South Africa.

Tel: +27-21-7154329  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323