[Samba] NetBIOS name resolution from Linux

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri May 16 14:08:09 GMT 2008

First why use open dns servers.
the dns servers of your provider is much less hops away.

if you run you own dns server with caching modus on you have a very fast
dns response and less traffic.

in this example i first point to you own dns server.
( i also have forwarding dns servers in my bind9 config )
and i added 3 dns server of my provider in my resolve.conf

show what i now get is.
1 search order makes sure my own dns is search first.
2 my own dns server responds, if not its forwarded to my providers dns
  with caching modes active.
3 every old request is very very fast because of the caching.
4 if my dns server fails, the linux server still has dns resolving
provided by resolve.conf 's dns server.

and, my local hosts in my lan are always correct even PTR records.
i use this setup in my company. and it goes further.
here i have 1 master dns + dhcp3 ( dynamic dns server + dhcp server )
every other server is dns slave. ( i have about 8 servers here ) and
also across a wan. ( over vpn )

what i acomplised is a very stable and very fast, low cpu consuming
dns setup. every server is capable of resolving any host/object in my
lan/wan.

so yes sure opendns is useable but if you really want it ...

ow and i didnt say any randon ISP DNS. use your own IPS dns server

;-)

Louis