[Samba] BSOD when writing from W2003 clients after SP2 has been installed

Niko Neufeld niko.neufeld at gmail.com
Fri May 16 12:07:33 GMT 2008

Hi,

Microsoft is working on a fix. In the meantime I have compiled 3.0.28a for
RHEL4 (needs a tiny patch, attached), and this also removes the problem (i.e
it works then with SP2). MS support claims that it could be due to badly
aligned fields

> NT NOTIFY Parameters
>
>            Next Entry Offset: 54  (<-- not longWord aligned!)
>
>           Action: REMOVED (object was removed) (2)
>
 >           File Name Len: 42

One of the differences between 3.0.28a and 3.0.25 we and MS see is that
3.0.28 does not seem to chain responses any more. Next Entry Offset == 0
always. The suspicion is that if the NEO is not 32-bit aligned this causes a
Bugcheck in Windows. MS will follow this up further.

Regards,

Niko