[Samba] HowTo clear a share using smbclient ?

Jon Wilson iambiscuit at gmail.com
Wed May 14 23:57:41 GMT 2008

Good Evening,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to clear a share on a server using
a command line interface ?

Basically I have a [public] share that I would like cleared down every
night, I've worked out that

smbclient //apps-srv/public -N -c "del *" >
/var/log/samba_public_delete.log 2>&1

seems to go most of the way to doing what I want - however it doesn't
delete subdirectories. Is there any easy way to accomplish this ?

I prefer the idea of running this rather than a 'rm -rf' from the
command line as I can script this and as it's a public share the
possibility of deleting anything else is pretty minimal.
I've seen a few examples of wayward rm command in crons to be wary of
doing that !

Any ideas how I could accomplish this ?

Many Thanks

Jon