[Samba] monitoring file access levels?

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Wed May 14 22:29:07 GMT 2008

I've got a paranoid client who has a samba server on a small LAN who
wants to know if and when any of his employees 'transfer' (read, copy
off etc) any more than a certain threshold of data a day from the
server, I think he's worried that some employee may grab a lot of stuff
off the server and then share it with his competition.  I tried to
explain that this wasn't a very good solution to that problem, but to no
avail.  So I'm going to try and give him what he wants.  The only way I
can think to do it is to knock up some script that parses smb log files
and reports on them by file access and username.

Before I do it, has it already been done?  I don't want to re-invent a
wheel if I can avoid it?

Thankyou

Carl