[Samba] Re: Samba segs when serving files from a windows partition on OpenBSD-4.2

Stephen Borrill samba at precedence.co.uk
Tue May 13 16:56:56 GMT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 09:05:29PM +0100, Edd Barrett wrote:
>> I am sure that the OpenBSD team will be interested in fixing these bugs
>> if they still exist, as they take pride making good quality code. I
>> can't speak for NetBSD or FreeBSD.
>
>> As for the "directory name cache size = 0" it does not work for me. On
>> OpenBSD. I used this configuration:
>
>> [global]
>> workgroup = MYGROUP
>> server string = Samba Server
>> security = share
>> log file = /var/log/smbd.%m
>> directory name cache size = 0
>
>> [public]
>>    comment = Public Stuff
>>    path = /mnt/hot/sd0i
>>    public = yes
>>    writable = yes
>>    printable = no
>
>> I tested this with samba-latest.tgz from your web-page.
>
>> If I change the path to someplace else on a UFS slice, all is well.
>
> Did you remove the lib/replace/repdir_getdirentries.c code as
> well ? The aborts will still trigger even with "directory name cache
> size = 0" if that code is in place.

As a data point, I'm getting crashes on NetBSD 3.1 and samba 3.0.28a on a FFSv2
partition.

Removing the lib/replace/repdir_getdirentries.c gets it working (even without
"directory name cache size = 0"). I'm not sure of the canonical way to remove
it, the patch at https://bugzilla.samba.org/attachment.cgi?id=2905 does not
work, nor does removing repdir.m4 entirely. I ended up editing source/Makefile
and removing the .o files from LIBREPLACE_OBJ.

I note the changes in OpenBSD and NetBSD to fix the seekdir() problem, but they
didn't seem to help me.

--
Dr. Stephen Borrill