[Samba] User SID problem with home directory

Wes Modes wmodes at ucsc.edu
Mon May 12 20:29:19 GMT 2008

You are correct that I should have had "wins support" set to no rather
than yes.  Here's how the smb.conf man page describes that option:

    This boolean controls if the nmbd(8)
    <http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/nmbd.8.html> process
    in Samba will act as a WINS server. You should not set this to |yes|
    unless you have a multi-subnetted network and you wish a particular
    |nmbd| to be your WINS server. Note that you should /NEVER/ set this
    to |yes| on more than one machine in your network.

HOWEVER, setting it to No, did not fix this problem:

User joeblow with invalid SID
user 'joeblow' (form session setup) not permitted to access this share
(home)

Wes

--

Wes Modes
Server Administrator & Programmer Analyst