[Samba] PDC replacement

Bob Bregant II bob at spincats.com
Mon May 12 20:17:31 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I am at a small organization that has been using Samba for
authentication for a while now, and I have inherited our Samba setup
from our previous administrator.  The server is in disrepair
software-wise and would really benefit from a good reinstall.  The
problem is that our Samba implementation is mission-critical, so we need
to get it replicated to another machine which can handle the load while
the main server is being rebuilt.

Enough of the background, here's the question:  I have my temp server
setup as a BDC (or at least I think that I do) and it is joined to the
domain.  I am trying to vampire the users off of it, but I always
receive the error:

Fetching DOMAIN database
Failed to fetch domain database: NT code 0x1c010002

Does anyone have any ideas what that is about/how to fix it?

Thank you,
Bob Bregant
McKinley Foundation at the University of Illinois

PS~ Here are some of the lines from my temp server's smb.conf:

   workgroup = MCKINLEY
   netbios name = ESTHER-TEMP
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   domain logons = yes
   domain master = no
   preferred master = no

PPS~ The old server is a Debian Etch machine on the 2.4.33 kernel with
Samba 3.0.14a-Debian.  The temporary server is running Ubuntu on the
2.6.22-14 kernel with Samba 3.0.26a.