[Samba] name resolves to public address - should resolve to private...

Chris Smith smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Fri May 9 18:32:53 GMT 2008

On Friday 09 May 2008, Joe Demeny wrote:
> I see... let me ask, just to make it clear for myself: Is there any
> knob in Samba which could tell the Windows workstations "look at WINS
> first, look at my /etc/hosts second, then ask the DNS resolver"?

Not really outside of changes you may make with a logon script. And even
though Samba can provide WINS it doesn't tell the client to use it -
that's a client side configuration issue. Normally DHCP is used to set
all of this up. Generally "hosts" (think of this as a local static DNS)
and "lmhosts" (think of this as a local static WINS) will be looked at
before DNS and WINS (some differences depending upon Windows version).
With the lmhosts file you can use the #PRE directive to preload the
data so the file itself doesn't have to be referenced after boot. And
besides the normal configuration options one may be able to effect the
order with registry changes although generally there should be no need
to.

--
Chris